Stubble is necessary to trap snow and insulate your winter wheat crop from winterkill. Year old stubble will break apart much easier than freshly harvested stubble.
- If conducting multiple spraying operations, try to stay in the same tracks to minimize tire stubble knock-down
- Let weeds bolt before spraying. Tall weed carcasses trap snow effectively
- Use wide equipment (spraying and seeding) to minimize tire stubble knock-down
- Use narrow openers when seeding
- Avoid harrowing and cultivating if possible